|Age: 12-Adlt||Intensity: Medium|
|Time: 25 mins||Positions: 2,7,3,11|
|Players: 16+||Area: 1/2 Field|
- To train a team to use the flanks in the attacking phase.
- Finishing from crosses.
Diagram 1. Set-Up Arrangement
- Using a half field mark out a half way line and 2 channels on the sides of the pitch (Approx. 7yrds wide).
- Split the teams into 6vs6 (5 outfield players and a goalkeeper) and 4 feeders who will play in the outside channels.
- 2 teams compete to try and score in the soccer goals by using the flank players which create a numbers up situation in the width sections of the pitch.
- 3vs2 play in each half of the field (3 defenders, 2 attackers).
- Players have to stay in their sections of the field (To begin with, refer to progression 1).
- The feeders in the channels play for both teams on attack.
- Flank players combine (overlap, 1/2) to create goal scoring opportunities.
- Offside rule should be applied and monitored by the coaching staff.
- Score in the regular goals normal to start.
- Progressions for scoring can be as follows: 1 point for regular cross goal, 2 points for a volley goal, 3 points for a headed goal, 4 points for scissor or overhead kick (Advanced players only).
- Look to play the flanks in as much as possible (play with head up to see these opportunities).
- Focus on the quality of the delivery from the channels (timing, height, early or late cross).
- Work with the 2 attackers on their runs to finish crosses played in. (Near post, far post runs).
- Goal keepers can distribute the ball to the wings using their feet of good throws.
- Defenders need to communicate and pick up the attackers as they make their runs.
- Work on the feeders dropping back to receive throws from the goalkeeper.
- The flank players should work hard on their combinations and timing of overlaps, 1/2's, takeovers.
- Encourage the defenders to push up to keep the attackers offside and away from their goal area.
- Defenders are allowed to enter the channels to create more pressure for the feeders and a game like situation.
- Release one of the flank players to follow in a pass or cross.
- Release a defender to go forward into the attacking half to support the 2 attackers.
- Release an attacker to track back to the defending half to help defend.
- 3 attackers and 2 defenders in each half to increase the number of attempts on goal and create numbers up for the attackers.
- Only have one feeder stationed in each channel.
- Allow the feeders upon receiving a pass to drive (dribble) into the center areas and shoot if the opportunity arises.