|Age: 12-Adlt||Intensity: Medium|
|Time: 25 mins||Positions: 7,8,9,10,11|
|Players: 16||Area: 70x50 yrds|
- Coach a team to pressure (press) high up the field.
- Coach a team to prevent playing out from the back.
Diagram 1. Set-Up Arrangement
- How to create space.(i.e. check away from where you want to receive, takes defenders eyes off you, push off the defender to get separation).
- D1 plays a back pass to the GK who passes with either their feet or hands out to A1.
- D1 and D2 can be restricted not to move before the GK's touch if needed to create a more realistic scenario and allow pressing to begin. For example, these players can be asked to start inside the centre circle until A1's first touch.
Diagram 2. Variations with start positions SP2 and SP3.
- 2 teams compete and attempt to score in the full size goals.
- Nearest player to the ball is responsible for providing immediate pressure.
- Force players inside when pressing high up the field (forcing them back into the midfield masses to deny space).
- Prevent the ball being passed forward is the ultimate goal, players pressing don't have to win the ball.
- Discuss individual defending techniques, i.e. side on, get there fast arrive slow, don't over commit, on toes, focus on the ball, goal side defending, stay on feet, etc.
- Slide as a unit to the side of the field the ball is on to compact the field.
- Communication - Tell team mates to press (step!) when needed.
- Man marking to deny space.
- Curved runs to cut off forward passing options if needed to block potential passing channels down the line.
- Can we do anticipation marking (anticipate and intercept the ball before being received).
- Discuss the decision of when to press and when not to press (i.e. Can I close down and force an error or win the ball, or will I just be beaten with a pass past me?).
- Press together when pressing!