|Age: 12-Adlt||Intensity: High|
|Time: 20 mins||Positions: All|
|Players: 14||Area: 45x55 yrds|
- Develop the Intermittent Aerobic Capacity of soccer players.
- Develop a teams ability to work at moderate intensity for sustained periods.
- Develop soccer possession skills in small groups.
Diagram 1. Set-Up Arrangement
- 45x55 yrd field indicated by cones (corner of a full size field can be used).
- 7vs7 (A neutral attacking player that plays on both teams can be added).
- 2 Teams split evenly.
- 20 minutes (1 rest period of 2 mins at 8 minute interval).
- 2 balls (Preferably distinguishable in colour or pattern).
- Each team is assigned a ball at the start of the game. In the above diagram R1 and Y1 begin with a ball for their respective teams.
- Both teams attempt to maintain possession of their team’s football, at the same time attempting to capture their opponent’s football.
- Once a team has possession of both balls play is stopped and a point is gained for the team in possession.
- To restart – the captured ball is returned to the team without possession and play begins again.
- Each time a team gains possession of both footballs 1 pt is awarded. At the end of 20mins (or other desired time period) the team with the most points wins.
- Players need to be able to apply the principles of possession (i.e. spread out, fast paced passing, etc).
- Create passing and quality supporting angles.
- Players should be working between 55-80% of their maximum heart rate (MaxHR).
- Communication to establish players roles on the field to get a balance between retrieving the opponents ball and maintaining possession of their own.
- Awareness, players need to be aware of both footballs and play with their heads up to see where support is needed.
- Pressing, discuss pressing tactics on the opponents (High press vs Low press).
- Reduce the size of the playing area (i.e 30x50 yrds). Refer to the below Diagram 2.
- Addition of a neutral player to help maintain possession (if needed). Refer to the below Diagram 2.
- Players in possession have a 2 touch maximum rule applied. Except on recovering possession (challenging for the ball) in which they have 3 touches.
Diagram 2. Reduce Field Size
- Increase the number of balls to 4 (each team starts with 2 balls). Once a team is in possession of all 3 balls they earn 1 pt.
- Increasing the dimensions of the field will also increase the intensity of the exercise.
- Can be played as a handball game. If a player is tagged in possession of the ball the ball is turned over to the opposition.
- Reduce the number of players on each team to increase the intensity. (i.e. 6vs6).