|Age: 12-Adlt||Intensity: Low|
|Time: 15 mins||Positions: 7,9,10,11|
|Players: 3+||Area: Penalty Area|
- Develop the ability of players to shoot from the left and right when played a through ball.
- Rebounds and finishing.
Diagram 1. Set-Up Arrangement
- Use a penalty area with a full size goal. 3 players perform a passing pattern prior to finishing.
- This drill is usually done without a GK to start.
- Instead the players shoot towards a 2.5yrd target area at both the left and right posts of the goal.
- The feeder (A1) passes the ball into the passer (A2) who alternatively receives the ball on their left foot and then right foot by moving out prior to the pass on either side.
- A2 makes a run square to receive a pass with an open body position from A1.
- A1 passes the ball into A2.
- A3 makes a curved run followed by an out to in run in the diagram shown. Other types of runs could be also practiced in this format.
- A2 passes the ball through to A3, splitting the defense with the diagonal pass.
- A3 times their run so not to be offside.
- A3 attempts to score in one of the pole to post goal zones (if no GK)
- ALL players rotate A1 to A2’s position, A2 to A3, A3 to A1. And perform on the opposite side.
- This can also be played with a group of players in which the feeder constantly rotates with the finisher.
Diagram 2. Developing Positive First Touch + Shot.
- Scoring competition can be set at the coach’s discretion.
- Encourage first time shots when possible.
- Discuss the type of shoots taken with the players.
- Encourage good support, especially from the defenders to keep possession until a good shooting opportunity arises.
- Analyze technique: Knee over ball, shoulders square over the ball, non-kicking foot pointed at the target, left arm out for balance, follow through with toe pointing down, position of the ball which is struck.
- Encourage quick reactions for rebounds.
- Also refer to general finishing coaching points.
- Remove poles/cones indicating the shooting target areas and use a GK instead.
- 1 touch only.
- Practice various diagonal to straight runs/straight runs to diagonal passes.
- Develop first touch through the defensive line, shown in Diagram 2.
- Practice lobbed balls over the top.
- Work on developing A2 into the play more with various combination runs (i.e. 1-2s) and shooting from distance.