|Set Piece Objective(s) |
- Redirection of play pulls out the defenders and results in a shot/cross to the far post whoch is difficult to defend against.
|Diagram 1 |
- 3 takes the kick and recognizes the space to play in the right back who is unmarked.
- 11,7 holds the edge of the area for rebounds and attempted clearances.
- 4,5,9, make attacking runs into the back of the 6.
- 3 fakes to play long and deep and instead cuts the ball out to player 2 (right back).
- 2 either strikes the ball first time low or head-height at the far post. Can take a touch to settle the ball back if necessary. Should be with pace.
- 4,5,9 try to redirect if necessary and finish from close range.
- 11 holds the eadge of the area for rebounds and attempted clearances.
This play does require 10-15 yrds of space for Player 2. Many times this results in a direct shot on goal from distance.
|KEY COACHING POINTS: |
- Encourage creativity at the corner. You cannot predict the defending teams movements so imporvise where necessary.
- 10 should be a good player, comfortable under pressure and who can make a good decision.
- 3 is generally left footed to delivery a good ball into the back post area.
- Be Organized.
- Know your job.
- Know your start and end point of your run!
- Attack Secondary ball and be agressive. Attack the ball.
- Delivery must be good and to the right place.
- As shown above.