|Age: 12-Adlt||Intensity: Medium|
|Time: 25 mins||Positions: 2,3,7,11|
|Players: 13||Area: 2/3rd Field|
- Develop Individual defending in and around the 18yrd area.
- Coach a team in how to defend in wide areas.
Diagram 1. Set-Up Arrangement
- Mark out 2/3 of a full size pitch. Start position where the yellow cone is (this can be varied). The teams play in specific formations. The defending team = 4-2-1. The attacking team = 3-3-2. T1 can move up and down behind the line of cones.
- 7 attackers (Yellow)
- 7 defenders (Red)
- 1 goalkeeper (Green)
- 1 target player (Grey)
- The yellow attacking team combines with each other using the flank player to create opportunities on goal.
- The starting position allows for play to go out to the wing.
- Switch the roles of attacking and defending after 10 minutes.
- The restart positions can be varied.
- The coach works with the defending team to identify the key points of defending in wide areas, both group and individual defending.
- The attacking team can use T1 to help them maintain possession from behind. The defending team scores by passing into the target player.
- 2 teams compete and attempt to score.
- The attacking team scores by scoring on the goal.
- The defending team scores by playing the ball out to T1.
- A1 receives a pass from the start position (Yellow cone)
- A1 passes to A2 (wing player) Ensure the defenders are delayed so they don’t intercept. Can place a rule on no movement prior to A2’s first touch.
- Following the starting position and passing pattern the following should occur: The closest player to the ball should pressure (D4). From here the key coaching points should be discussed along with the scenarios in Diagram 2 & 3.
- Discuss both individual and group defending in wide positions.
- For the full back pressing, in general show the attacking player outside to the touch line to isolate. May be situations where you could show inside to weaker foot or if you need support to deal with pace of attacker.
- Control speed of approach so no to dive in.
- Discuss angle of approach.
- Keep the feet moving whilst jockeying.
- Going to ground (i.e. slide tackle) should be a last resort.
- Prevent Crosses and Shoots.
- Feint to tackle.
- Focus. Eyes on the ball at all times.
- Discuss secondary positioning of the centre backs and supporting mids. Refer to the diagrams below for additional explanations.
- Discuss delay, cover and support with the centre backs supporting.
- Compact the play as a team and slide to the strong side of the field.
- Defending Midfielders should be tracking any attacking runs from midfield.
Diagram 1. Football Played into the Wingers Feet (Full back pressures)
Diagram 1. Football Played into space behind the full back (Centre backs assist and track runners)