|Age: 12-Adlt||Intensity: Medium|
|Time: 30 mins||Positions: All|
|Players: 10+GK||Area: 75x60 yrds|
- Develop players’ understanding of negative transition and quick recovery to defensive shape.
- Develop players’ understanding of passing patterns.
- Develop the players’ understanding of rotating positions.
Diagram 1. Set-Up Arrangement
- Mark out playing area 75x60 yrds.
- Preferably on a regular size field with a full size goal.
- Arrange cones (markers) in the attacking shape of the formation you wish to play your pattern play and then recover to also.
- NOTE: Your recovery position can be different to your attacking shape, simply add another set of different coloured cones to indicate defensive positions.
- In the diagram above a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield is used. 1 GK plays in the top goal being attacked.
- The team of 10 (11 if you include a GK) play shadow play towards the top goal. 10vs0 (11vs0). Team can work on pattern play and ball movement with the whole team as an attacking unit.
- The coach (Or nominated player) plays a pass from the centre circle to one of the back four to begin.
- The outfield players combine in a realistic method before an attempt on goal.
- Immediately after the attempt on goal (Refer to Diagram 2) the players retreat and drop to the original cone positions to simulate a negative transition. After a few moments rest play is restarted from the coach at the centre circle again.
- The coach can demand various patterns are performed prior to scoring a goal:
- Outside overlap
- Inside Overlap
- Central comniation (Quick and fast 1-2 play through the central area)
- Cross and Finish
- At least 2 positional rotations (I.e. The right mid switches with a central mid, or the 2 forwards switching sides, etc).
Diagram 2. Players Recovery Runs
- Immediately transition to defensive position. Rest when you get back inn defensive shape, not after the attempt on goal.
- Encourage outside backs to get high up the lines.
- Quick passing with limited touches.
- Communication to get players to drop (i.e switch on! drop! commands).
- Encourage players to recognize when they can rotate positions.
- Face the ball (or at least turn your head at intervals) when recovering to the starting position.
- Time requirement to drop and recover (i.e. 7 secs to recover to starting positions).
- Add a team of defenders (passive if needed) 4-6 players.
- Require 2 touch play.
- Require 1 touch play.
- Add another set of cones to indicate a defending positions (i.e yellow cones for defending positions, orange for attacking positions).
- Change formations to keep the players challenged.