|Age: 12-Adlt||Intensity: Low|
|Time: 30 mins||Positions: 7,9,10,11|
|Players: 10||Area: 1/3 Field|
- Develop the ability of players to shoot from the left and right.
- Rebounds and finishing.
Diagram 1. Set-Up Arrangement
- Use a penalty area with a full size goal.
- 1 feeder required and a player to finish. With additional players simply add lines to both the feeder and finisher stations.
- Have a good supply of balls at hand.
- This drill is usually done without a GK to start.
- Instead the players shoot towards a 2.5yrd target area at both the left and right posts of the goal.
- The feeder (A1) passes the ball into the finisher (A2) who alternatively receives the ball on their left foot and then right foot. After a period balls can be played randomly to either side to develop shooting reactions:
- A1 plays a weighted pass to zone 2.
- A2 moves to join the rolling pass.
- A2 strikes on goal after a touch, or first time depending on the difficulty level desired.
- A2 then recovers to the centre area (starting point) and awaits the next ball.
- A2 moves for the second ball in the opposite zone.
- A1 players another weighted pass into Zone 1 this time.
- A2 shoots on goal again at the target areas or to beat the GK.
- A2 recovers for another shot.
- This can also be played with a group of players in which the feeder constantly rotates with the finisher.
- After a period balls can be played randomly to either side to develop shooting reactions.
- Scoring competition can be set at the coach’s discretion.
- Encourage first time shots when possible.
- Discuss the type of shoots taken with the players.
- Encourage good support, especially from the defenders to keep possession until a good shooting opportunity arises.
- Analyze technique: Knee over ball, shoulders square over the ball, non-kicking foot pointed at the target, left arm out for balance, follow through with toe pointing down, position of the ball which is struck.
- Encourage quick reactions for rebounds.
- Remove poles/cones indicating the shooting target areas and use a GK instead.
- 1 touch only.
- Feeders play in bouncing balls either from their hands or feet.
- Feeder randomly plays football in to either side.
- Players start facing towards the goal. The feeder shouts ‘turn’ and the players turn and follow the pass to whichever zone the feeder plays the ball to.