|Age: 12-Adlt||Intensity: Medium|
|Time: 30 mins||Positions: All|
|Players: 10||Area: 35x25 yrds|
- Coach a team to maintain possession.
- Coach a team to control the tempo of possession.
- Coach transition from attack to defense.
Diagram 1. Set-Up Arrangement
- 35x25 yrds, 4vs4(+3 neutrals for the team playing on the outside).
- The 3 neutrals are positioned on the end lines and 1 in the central playing area.
- Age U14+.
- 2 goals for progressions, footballs spread around the edge to maintain work rate.
- There is generally one start position for this drill with the player at the back of the area playing the ball in and then joining the play for the attacking team.
- 2 teams compete. The Blue team attempts to maintain possession with the 3N's. 2 Blues support on the outsides on either side. They cannot enter the field when in possession.
- The Red team attempts to intercept the football. On doing so they return to the Blue team to begin again.
- After 3 successful interceptions, or 8 minutes (whichever comes first) the teams switch roles.
- The flank (outer) players can move up and down the exterior playing area.
- The Red team (inner players) can move anywhere and can pressure and closing down the passing angles of the exterior players.
- The goal is to maintain possession for long periods. This can be timed for each team to create a competition.
- Or teams can be challenged to make a target number of passes in 2 minutes (i.e. 70 successful passes).
- Blue exterior player passes into the central neutral.
- The central neutral bounce passes back out to another neutral.
- Pass back out to Blue player 2.
- Pass back into the far neutral player.
- Consecutive passing targets for the possession team (i.e 10)
- Quick passing included limited touches.
- Players should be constantly working to create good supporting angles.
- Develop forward, side and back passing patterns and support.
- Movement of the central midfield neutral to get open.
- Defenders should work hard and as a unit to close down space and pressure the football.
- On intercepting the football the defending (Red) team can now attack the goal in the half they intercepted the ball. When this happens, the Blue exterior players can now enter and defend (with a Neutral player dropping to play GK at that same end).
- Play 1 touch limitation on the sides.
- Make the central playing area smaller to increase the difficulty of the exercise.
Diagram 2. Addition of Transition & 2 Goals
- 4 small goals can be used instead of the 2 large goals for the intercepting team to attack. One goal in each corner of the end line.