|Age: 12-Adlt||Intensity: Low|
|Time: 20 mins||Positions: ALL|
|Players: 12+(16)||Area: 60x40 yrds|
- To train the ability to keep possession.
- Improve speed of play and transition play.
Diagram 1. Set-Up Arrangement
- Using a 60x40yrd grid arrange two teams of 5vs5 and 2 neutral players.
- The yellow team competes against the white team to keep possession using the neutral players. (10vs8 in possession to begin).
- The neutral players always play for the team with possession.
- One team keeps possession whilst the other team attempt to intercept a pass.
- Every time a team looses possession, the player who is responsible for loosing the ball sits down immediately after loosing possession.
- The coach identifies the player responsible for loosing possession if it is not obvious.
- If a player has to sit/kneel they remain down until their team manages to make a set number for consecutive passes (e.g. 7 consecutive passes). If there are multiple players down (sitting/kneeling) the player down the longest rejoins the game and helps keep possession again.
- Sequence from Diagram 1: A1 combines with N1. N1 passes to A2 to keep possession. A2 combines with N2. N2 passes to A3.
- Play for 5 minutes. The team with the most players standing (playing) at the end of 5 minutes is the winner.
- If one team gets down to one player left the game is over.
- If the attacking team gets 20 passes in a row the game is also over (i.e. they win the game).
- Keep the ball speed high (pass the ball quickly with limited touches).
- Players without the ball must move to create good passing angles.
- Players should make good decisions about when to change the point of attack to keep possession.
- Limited touches on the ball.
- Quick transition.
- 2 touch maximum by the attacking players.
- 1 touch maximum by the neutral players.
- To get a kneeling/sitting player to rejoin, his/her team has to pass the into them (hit them!), then they can get up and rejoin. This is a fun variation. (Refer to Diagram 2).
Diagram 2. Variation (With kneeling player)