- To train the ability to keep possession under various playing restrictions.
- Train focus and mental alertness.Soccer drills for possession.
|Drill No: ||PO16||Age: ||12yrs-15yrs|
|No. Players:||12 (9)||Area/Pitch:||40x30yrds|
| || |
|Set-up a 40x30yrd grid. 3 teams with 4 players on each team in different coloured pinnies.|
- Two of the teams in the middle of the grid can combine with each other to keep possession.
- 8vs4 keepaway.
- The team that looses possession of the ball becomes the defenders.
- Various conditions are placed on the team in possession. The coach can change these whenever he sees fit.
- Free Play (No limitations) Variations: limited touches (i.e. two touch)
- Two Touch Variations: Mandatory three-touch
- Play to Another Colour Players cannot pass to the same colour from which they receive the pass from.
- No Passes Over 10yrds All passes must be less than 10yrds.
- No passes under 10yrds All passes must be more than 10yrds.
- Taboo Colour Each team is assigned one colour team that it cannot pass to.
- Sequential Passing The coach assigns a colour passing sequence the players must follow (i.e. yellow-blue-white). The defending teams colour is skipped in the sequence.
- Aerial Passes Only All passes must be in the air (chipped, clipped).
- Touches sequence (1-2-1) Here the first player takes one touch and the second player takes 2 and the third takes one, and so on.
A violation of any of these rules by a player results in their team becoming the defenders. If the ball is played out of bounds by a team they also become the defenders.
From the Diagram above:
- Y1 passes to an open Y2 to maintain possession.
- Y2 then uses the other attacking team (White) through W1 to keep the ball.
- W1 passes to Y4.
- Y4 passes to the other attacking team (i.e. W2).
- W2 plays the ball onto W4 to keep possession.
- No scoring, teams are simply attempting to keep possession as long as possible to prevent them from becoming the defenders.
|KEY COACHING POINTS:|
- Focus and Awareness all the time. Concentration.
- Players have to use peripheral vision and field vision.
- Quick feet and on toes to receive ball.
- Good quality passing to maintain possession.
- Discuss long and short passing technique if necessary.
- Transition when an error is made.
- Communication to identify the defenders and also the conditions as they change.
- 4 teams of 3.
|NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS:|
|This game should help increase a teams mental focus and concentration. If the players dont stay focused they will fall behind in the activity. Develops intelligent and pro-active players.|
|Diagrams were generated using Tactics Manager from SoccerTutor.com|