|Age: 12-Adlt||Intensity: Medium|
|Time: 30 mins||Positions: 2,3,4,5,6|
|Players: 10+2GK||Area: 2/3 Pitch|
- Coach a team on finishing technique.
- Coach a team in how to cross the ball effectively.
- Coach runs and the movement of players when attacking crosses.
Diagram 1. Set-Up Arrangement
- Mark out 1/2 of a full size pitch with full size goals.
- Coach can adjust field size depending on age group.
- Circuit works best with a full team.
- If you have less than 10 players eliminate line 5 and have just one runner into the box (line 4).
- Stations 1 and 2 need a good supply of balls.
- The first player from Station 1 dribbles toward the coach and cuts the ball at an angle to move past him (could ask the player to carry out a particular move).
- This player now takes shot from distance. Once this shot has been taken the first player from Station 2 passes the ball into the area for the Station 1 player to finish 1st time.
- The first player at Station 2 lays a pass off.
- Station 1 player to finish 1st time.
- The Station 2 player then drives (dribbles) with the ball down field.
- 1-2 is played with the first player at Station 3.
- Cross is delivered (type of cross/delivery is directed by the coach).
- Players at Stations 4 & 5 make attacking runs to finish the cross.
- Rotations: Players move up a Station after each activity (i.e. shot/pass/cross) (Station 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc.). Station 5 moves to Station 1. The second player at Station 1 should start his dribble after the player at Station 3 crosses the ball.
- Ask players to count the number of goals they score, assists they make in a set period of time (5 Mins).
- Discuss finishing technique with the laces and driven shots.
- Discuss one time finishing technique, instep, placement finishing, etc.
- Discuss the 2nd 6yrd area where crosses should be delivered.
- Quality of the ball in. With pace, bending into forwards, height of cross.
- A Cross is a Pass!! Don’t just hit in there randomly. Pick out a target.
- Discuss the movement of the supporting player to provide an opportunity for a 1-2.
- Delay and stagger runs into box for the cross.
- Discuss crosses to the Near, Central and Far post areas.
- Discuss driven crosses vs. hanging crosses (i.e. to the back post)
- Perform on both side of the field (switch sides).
- The pass in from Station 2 can be a bouncing ball for a volley half volley.
- Introduce a passive defender/coach at Station 1 to beat before shooting.
- Introduce a defender on the final cross.
- Add a set of cones to dribble around prior to the first shot at Station 1.
- Coach can ask for specific type of cross for the final finish (i.e. early, far post, near post, cut backs, etc).