|Age: 12-Adlt||Intensity: Low|
|Time: 20 mins||Positions: All|
|Players: 12+||Area: 40x30 yrds|
- Developing individual passing technique.
- Develop individual receiving and control.
- Develop individual ability to create space.
- Develop small group possession.
Diagram 1. Set-Up Arrangement
- 30yrd diameter circle.
- Teams of 4 (4xRed, 4xYellow, 4xBlue).
- 20mins for the technical, 20mins for the Possession Progression, 30mins SSG).
- The circle diameter can be varied depending on the session objective. Larger for long range passing, shorter for short passing and combination play.
- Technical (Diagram 1).
- Playing in a circular area one team works in the central area.
- 4 players work on the inside and 8 players support on the outside of the circle.
- 4 balls are used and start with the outside players.
- Players pass into the central players who check away and to the passes from the outside players. The players receive the ball and pass put to another outside player who doesnt have a ball.
- Y3 passes into R1 who moves towards the pass.
- R1 receives the pass and on the second touch passes out to Y2. R1 then turns and moves to another outside player with a ball.
- Instep passes hit firmly at pace.
- Contact point on the instep should be half way up the ball or higher.
- Observation of where the receiver wants the ball (i.e. into their run).
- Weight of the pass.
- Accuracy of the pass.
- Communication between the passer and receiver. Also note the eye contact.
- Create space to receive passes
- Awareness. Looking over the shoulder to assess space and a players first touch being into space.
- Checking for space and movement to get free.
- Two teams now play possession together whilst one defends (i.e. Blue in Diagram 2).
- The defending team has two defenders in the circle and two which remain on the outside of the circle and wait for the blues playing inside the circle to win the play and play it to the outside blues.
- The team which lost possession to the blues would then become the defenders (i.e. with two inside the circle and two outside).
Diagram 2. Progression to SSG
- 4vs4 directional game with one team (4 players) acting as two wingers (Y1,Y2) and two target players (Y3,Y4).
- Score by passing into the target end players.
- Players should work to create space to receive passes and review the selection of possible passes.
Diagram 3. SSG
- In the technical section work on aerial passing and receiving. All passes must be played in the air.
- Require one touch passing.
- Passing with the outside of the foot only.
- Increase the size of the circle or SSG to incorporate longer passing skills.
- In the technical section players must approach another internal player, and push off them, go around them to take their eyes off you to create space prior to receiving.
- Limit wing players in the SSG to one touch.