|Age: 9-15yrs||Intensity: Medium|
|Time: 20 mins||Positions: 2,3,4,5,6|
|Players: 7 (9)||Area: 40x35 yrds|
- Develop ability to play out the back.
- Develop transition.
- Develop general possession skills.
Diagram 1. Set-Up Arrangement
- 40x35yrd area with 1 full size goal and 3 small gate goals. (20 mins) 7 players (9 with progressions. 2vs2 (+2) +GK. 'No Press Zone' using the 18yrd area, where the defending team cannot enter and press. Footballs readily available next to the coach positioned on the end of the playing area and by the goal post.
- 2 CBs play in front of a GK and attempt to combine with the full backs who should be in wide advanced positions. When developing these positions you could select positions for the exercise based on your teams positions.
- The Yellow team attacks as the defending team is encourage to counter quickly with the two blue Full Backs on retrieving possession.
- 2 Central Defenders (orange) play out from the back using the GK and the two Neutral Full Backs in blue.
- If the Yellow team win possession they counter with the two blue players on the full size goal.
- GK starts play by passing out to a CB in the 'No Press Zone'.
- Coach can also perform re-starts from the opposite end by feeding the yellow counter attack team.
- Yellow players cannot enter the 'No Press Zone'.
- Orange have only 20 seconds to score. Can be modified as needed.
- Play for 4 mins and then break for either a 30 sec or 1 minutes rest period and rotate roles.
- Orange score in the small gate goals.
- Yellow score in the full sized goal.
- Quick passing and movement with limited touches on the ball.
- CBs open up wide.
- Switching Play.
- Quick transition from the outside players.
- Create supporting angles to play out from the back. Look to play forward whenever possible but do NOT force play.
- Look to Play forward when possible to targets.
Diagram 2. Building Play
- Typical passing pattern to build out the back. The GK plays into the CBs who combine with the Full Backs switching play when possible to open space to go forward.
Diagram 3. Progression 1
- Addition of a 3rd defender (Yellow Team) who defends behind the 'No Press Line'.
Diagram 4. Progression 2
- Addition of another midfielder (No.6) who plays in front of the 'No Press Zone' and is used to combine and play out from the back.
- Vary the size of the playing area to increase or decrease the difficulty level.