|Age: 15-Adlt||Intensity: Medium|
|Time: 30 mins||Positions: ALL|
|Players: 10+||Area: 30x30 yrds|
- Develop players general ability in possession.
- Encourage players to play penetrative passes.
- Encourage players to be creative when providing penetrative passes.
Diagram 1. Set-Up Arrangement
- Mark out playing area (Approx. 30x30yrds).
- Poled gates, all differing in angle and size, are placed at random areas around the grid.
- Players play “keep ball” and score any time they play a penetrative pass through any of the poled gates.
- Let them play for a few minutes and get a feel for the game, score goals etc.
- Initially most players will try to score in the obvious way by passing through the centre of a gate with a straight push pass (‘basic pass’ in the diagram below). The main part of your coaching will therefore be encouraging more creative passes to penetrative and score.
- Such passes can include the ones in the diagram below, most of which will involve some level of disguise.
- A goal is scored every time a player plays a penetrative pass through the poled gates and his team-mate receives on the other side.
- Keep the ball when you have to.
- If possible, can we penetrate?
- When appropriate, can players use more creative passes to penetrate?
- Ensure players use “clever” passes appropriately, i.e. do not turn down a chance to score with a basic push pass, rather than risk possession with a flamboyant one.'
- Encourage creativity, but at the right time and not at the expense of scoring a goal.
- Use disguise, e.g. feint to pass one way, then pass another way; look to play a short pass but play a longer penetrative one.
- To freshen up the session, get players to move the gates to whatever position they want.
- Increase / decrease the amount of gates used.
- Players score double if the penetrative pass is made using a particular technique (at the coach’s discretion) or with non-preferred foot.
Diagram 1. Overhead View of Interchanging
- A goalkeeper can play around the edges and receive from either team into his hands. He must distribute to the same team quickly and effectively. Can he play a penetrative throw?
- Increase the size of the area to ensure success.
- Decrease the size of the area to increase challenge.