|Age: 12-Adlt||Intensity: Low|
|Time: 20 mins||Positions: ALL|
|Players: 12+||Area: Full Field|
- Develop the ability of players to switch play.
- Developing runs off the ball to facilitate switching play opportunities.
Diagram 1. Set-Up Arrangement
- Full pitch marked as shown above with 6x (10x10 yrd boxes) in disk cones.
- 2 players are placed in boxes B and E where they will be receiving and delivering passes.
- 3 players form a back 3 behind them. Balls should be placed at the cones occupied by players A1 and A7. Players start in the shape shown above.
- Players pass and move in a figure of ‘8’ sequence performing continuous switches of play through a central point (Once through a centre back (A2) and once through the centre midfielder (A4)).
- Players follow their pass to a new position.
- Introduce a second ball starting at the position currently occupied by A7 in the diagram above once the drill is running at a good tempo.
- Good technical passing with instep and driven passes for longer balls.
- Timing of the runs by receiving players.
- Weight of the pass?
- On the ground or in the air?
- 2-way communication between passing and receiving players.
- When introducing the striker (refer to diagram 2), clipped balls into the forward can be played.
- Require the midfielder to start outside the central box and check into box B or E.
- Require the midfielder to start in the central box, move out and then come back in to receive having created space to receive.
- Require the midfielder to receive in another pass in another designated box (i.e. A-F).
- 2 Touch.
- 1 Touch.
- Full field switches. Cut out players by passing long aerial clipped passes. A1 passes to A3 and A3 to A5. Players rotate as normal but wont all receive a pass on each circuit.
- Split into 2 teams. The players then rotate back to their own lines after following their passes all the way around (i.e. Once the midfielder plays it to the other team they join the back of their teams line. This can now be made competitive (i.e. most switch circuits in 2 minutes).
Diagram 1. Introduction of Striker
- Introduce a forward player position (shown in red above). These players check deep into a specific box to receive the ball and lay off to a midfielder.
- Introduce 2 forward players. These players check deep into a specific box to receive the ball and lay off to a midfielder.