|Age: 12-Adlt||Intensity: Medium|
|Time: 20 mins||Positions: 2,3,4,5,6,8|
|Players: 11||Area: 30x20 yrds|
- Develop possession skills.
- Develop transition.
- Develop playing tempo.
Diagram 1. Set-Up Arrangement
- 30x20 yrd grid (Can use the space between the sideline and 18 yrd area). (15 mins) 11 players. 4vs4 (+3).
- Footballs readily available next to the coach positioned on the side of the playing area.
- 3 Neutral Players (Yellow) play down the spine of the exercise (2 on the end lines and 1 centrally). Team rotate roles depending on who has possession. In the diagrams the Grey Team starts by defending, the Orange Team attacks and assuming the positions on the edge of the playing area. On a loss of possession the two teams switch roles and positioning.
- The 3 Neutral players (4, 6, 9) act as a CB, CM and CF. When developing these positions you could select positions for the exercise based on your teams positions.
- The Grey and Orange (Red) players could be grouped by positional grouping (i.e. defenders).
- Defending team plays only in the central playing area.
- 2 yellow players play on each end line and one in the middle.
- Play for 6 mins and then break for a 1 minute rest period.
- The attacking team score by scoring in the full size goal.
- The defending team score a goal by dribbling or passing the ball through the two smaller gate goals at the back of the 35x35yrd area.
- Quick passing and movement with limited touches on the ball.
- Central Neutral Pivot player (No.6) should play with awareness, scanning over the shoulders and constantly being an option.
- Playing the way you face.
- Speed of thought (thinking a pass ahead)
- Quick transition in both Attacking and Defending transition.
- Create supporting angles when on the sides.
- Expand quickly when in possession of the football.
Diagram 2. Building Play
- Typical passing sequence playing the through the Neutrals and the wide red players from one end to the other.
Diagram 3. Transition
- Example of the transition movement that take place when the Grey Team has regained possession. Here they pass out to a Yellow Neutral and quickly assume their positions on the sidelines. The Orange (Red) team collapse to restrict and compact the playing area.
Diagram 4. Transition
- Progression to 5vs5. These players remain in the central playing area at all times. 4vs4 Transition progression to 5vs5.