|Age: 12-Adlt||Intensity: High|
|Time: 20 mins||Positions: ALL|
|Players: 12||Area: 40x30 yrds|
- Develop the ability of players to transition from defensive to attacking positions quickly.
- Developing attacking team shape.
Diagram 1. Set-Up Arrangement
- 30x40 yrd grid marked by cones.
- 5vs5 (+2)
- The team in possession MUST always have 4 players on the edge of the playing grid (i.e. one on each side). The 2 neutrals always play in the middle are and play for the team in possession always.
- Attacking team players other than the one player left in the middle cannot touch the ball in possession unless they are on the outside of the grid.
- When possession is lost the transition occurs for the other team and the team that lost possession migrate back into the central playing area.
- Side players can move up and down the side of the playing area.
- Note: For practice purposes this drill can be done without the switching on the fly to begin with. I.e. each team plays a set period in on the sides.
- 10 consecutive passes = 1 goal. This number can be varied to the level of the players.
- Quick transition from defensive position to offensive position.
- Ensure one player spreads wide on each side, one high and one deep.
- Encourage the players to make a big space.
- Outside players (i.e. full backs and outside mids) should be the ones to spread to the wide sides.
- Play quick and with limited touches in the middle.
- Look to get the ball wide early.
- Create good supporting angles and passing triangles.
- Refer to diagram 2. Line a half field and play from the edges of the 18yrd area to the half way line. In possession 4 players still have to exit the central area to play. The neutrals do not leave the central area. In this format the defenders can leave the central area and go anywhere.
Diagram 1. Game version with goals
- 2 touch on the sides.
- 1 touch on the sides.
- Outside players can play to other outside plays.